Parent Volunteer Opportunities
As a community, we rely on our families to support SMCHS by participating in the life of the school. We appreciate your support and efforts. Depending on the extent to which volunteering includes working with or around students, Virtus training and fingerprinting may be required. For policies and guidelines regarding parent volunteer hours, please scroll to the bottom of the page.
Current Parent Volunteer Opportunities
The SMCHS Golf Tournament raises funds that directly go to SMCHS Scholarship / financial aid funds. I need volunteers to promote the golf tournament, sell tee signs, sell golf balls for the golf ball drop, and take registrations after all the masses the weekends of 9/29-30, 10/6-7, 10/15-16. The shifts will be Saturday night 5p-7pm and Sunday Mornings 8:00am-11:00am, 11am-2:30pm, and Sunday night 5p-9pm. Please be prepared to be a salesman! Golf registrations will be available for foursomes and individual players. There is an early bird rate for golfers available till 10/8/18. Sponsorships and ad sales will also be available. Thank you for signing up!
We are currently forming lists of parent volunteers to call on in areas of consistent need. Please email Mrs. Renett Young at email@example.com if you are interested in being contacted to perform your parent hours by serving in any of the following capacities:
(V=requires Virtus training F=requires fingerprinting)
- answering phones (V,F)
- helping with office work (V if students are present)
- planning/setting up/cleaning up events (V if students are present)
- facilitating event parking
- selling items at athletic concession stands (V if students are present)
- chaperoning field trips, coaching, or moderating student clubs (V,F)
- picking up, washing, and returning of tablecloths and other event linens
Virtus Training and Fingerprinting Requirements for Volunteers
Please be aware that if your parent volunteer hours will be served with or around our students, you will be required to complete Virtus training per the Archdiocese of Los Angeles: “concurrent with the first time they participate in any programs or activities at a location, all staff, whether paid or volunteer, and all volunteers who work in any capacity with or around children, the elderly, or people with special needs are required to complete the initial three-hour VIRTUS® Protecting God's Children for Adults program”. Virtus “helps clergy, staff, volunteers and parents understand the facts and myths about child sexual abuse; how perpetrators operate; and how caring adults can take five important steps to keep children safe”. Additionally, “all clergy, paid parish/school personnel and volunteers who work regularly in a supervisory role with children or youth” must be fingerprinted.
How to Sign Up
St. Monica Catholic Community offers on-site fingerprinting and Virtus training on a periodic basis. Please call (310) 566-1500 for more information. Opportunities for VIRTUS and fingerprinting are planned across the Archdiocese in different churches and settings. You are free to complete your obligations at any of these settings.
To see what locations are hosting VIRTUS training, please click here to visit. Click on the arrow, look for Los Angeles, Our Lady of the Angels region. This is for parishes anywhere on the greater Westside/Los Angeles. You will find a listing of parishes and the contact information to make a reservation. You can check all the other regions in Los Angeles as well.
To see what locations are hosting fingerprinting, please click here to visit.
If you have attended VIRTUS in the past and have kept up with particular criteria such as reading monthly newsletters then you may be eligible to take the recertification course entitled Keeping the Promise Alive Refresher Program. This session is one and a half hours in length. St. Monica does not have one scheduled in the near future but you can check the archdiocesan website for these locations. Follow the instructions above on VIRTUS to find these locations.
Parent Volunteer Policy and Guidelines
- Each family must complete a minimum of 25 hours of volunteer service in areas requested by the school.
- In lieu of physical service, a family may receive credit for up to five (5) hours for requested donated goods. Any goods donated beyond the maximum allotted five (5) hours, will not be credited by the Finance Office for completion of Parent Volunteer Hours. 1 hour = $15 worth of donated item or 1 hour = 2 dozen home baked treats.
- No single event may account for more than half of each family’s annual commitment. Any hours not completed or documented by April 30 will appear as a charge to the student account at a rate of $15 per unfulfilled hour.
- At each event, parent volunteers will either be given a parent volunteer form to fill out or be added to a roster of volunteers that will be submitted to the finance office on their behalf. All parent volunteer forms must be submitted to Mrs. Angel in the finance office to assure proper credit is assigned.
- Parents will be credited with 3 parent volunteer hours for attending Virtus training after they have completed at least 3 volunteer hours following the training.